Family Login:

Share This Obituary
Message from the Family

Thank you for your support during this difficult time. Please enhance this tribute to Antonino by adding your memories and photos.


Send Flowers
flowers logo

Memories & Candles

“Aunt Rose, I am very sorry to hear about your loss. Tony was a great man full of love and laughter. I remember when I was young he and Frank taught...Read More »
1 of 2 | Posted by: Michael Radtke

“So very sorry for your loss. I will always remember cards at Snookers ”
2 of 2 | Posted by: Rod Whelan - milford, MI - friend

Antonino Milana led a fascinating life. How many other people leave their hometown by foot to find work in a neighboring country? Tony or Nino, as he was also called, was born April 16, 1931 in the town of Trapani, Sicily which made him a mere boy when World War II began. Accidentally wounded in the war, Tony wasted no time after V-E Day to go to a better place. Walking on foot with his brother and a couple of friends, the boys left Sicily and walked to France in search of work. There Tony landed himself a job as a train conductor and stayed 5 years, sending most of the money he made home to his father. Family in Canada beckoned him next to cross the Atlantic and come join them in Windsor. Ever resourceful, Tony found work in a fish processing factory as well as other jobs.

Living on Riverside Drive in Windsor, he had a great view of Detroit. An invitation to visit cousins in Detroit turned into another life-changing event. While walking to the home of his cousin's, he set eyes on the most beautiful woman, who was soon to become his future bride, Christina Amodeo, who lived in the same neighborhood. They were married January 4, 1958.

Detroit was the place to be after WW II, the auto factories booming to satisfy the pent-up demand for cars. And Tony was not afraid of work. One job led to another. Though he only had a third-grade education, he taught himself to be a tool and die maker. In fact, he often worked two jobs: day shifts at the auto plants and at night, making pizzas. He finally landed at Burkard Manufacturing, making boat parts. On December 1, 1995 Tony retired from Burkard. Not one to sit still, he became an expert gardener. Fruit trees, vegetables, flowers – even figs. His popularity grew with the neighbors because he gave it all away. Give a sick plant to Tony and he would not only bring it back to life, it would flourish. He had a great green thumb.

Tony is survived by his wife, Christina, his children, Rosaria (Laurence) Radtke and Frank (Sheryl) Milana; his daughter-in-law, Susan; his grandchildren, Ashlee, Nicholas, Crystal, Laurence Jr., Anthony, Frank, Sarah and Julia; his great-grandchildren, Lilian and Zachary; his siblings, brothers; Salvatore and Rosario and sisters; Brigita and Luminata.

Tony unfortunately lost his eldest son, Natale, on November 2, 2013 to cancer. He bravely carried on, until his own health failed and on August 2, 2014 Tony made his transition.